Sunday, October 8, 2017

@23:28, 10/7/17

|



1
Food

What to Cook This Weekend

Make chili gumbo, or bake some of Dorie Greenspan’s recipes, whether her craquelin-topped cream puffs or her buttermilk biscuit shortcakes.

I may get ambitious in the morning.

2
Crosswords & Games

Variety: Cryptic Crossword

Richard Silvestri offers us a fun cryptic crossword to tackle.

My head hurts.

3
Crosswords & Games

Power Ballads

Erik Agard and Alex BriƱas show off their constructing superpowers.

I claim my head does not go there.

4
Travel

On an Oregon Lake, a Lodge Serving Kicked-Up Camp Food

After a renovation, the Suttle Lodge emanates a sort of Wes Anderson Goes Glamping vibe, with a menu of expertly executed grown-up camp food.

As convenient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2r2nDhTzO4

5
Opinion

When an Epidemic Is Personal

A friend, reflecting on his son’s opioid journey, once remarked, “I wish I’d held him closer.” Is it ever close enough?

I remember tobacco.
I remember swearing off and going back.
Again and again.

I do not remember when the need left.
It did leave.  It can come back.
It does not stay.

6
Opinion

Trump’s ‘Imaginary Thinking’

A psychiatrist reacts to a chart about the president’s frequent promises to get something done “soon.”

I worry.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/27/upshot/trump-statements-soon.html

7
Business Day

Dion Weisler of HP Inc. on the Three Waves of Innovation

The chief executive of the computer and printer company uses a surfing analogy to explain the need to focus on the present, the near term and the long term.

I would have more confidence if H.P. were not a ruin.

8
Opinion

Seeing Trump Through a Glass, Darkly

My Republican friends think I’m missing something. Am I?

My answer is yes.
His model of reality is wrong.

9
Opinion

Solving the Opioid Epidemic

Readers discuss and expand on the eight steps offered in an editorial last Sunday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/opinion/opioid-addiction-treatment-program.html

Just do it.

"Forward in all directions"

Take the money out of dealing.

10 
Opinion

Yes, Steve Bannon Should Terrify You

His brigade is motley. His agenda? Disruption for its own ugly sake.

The crazies are dangerous.



|

No comments:

Post a Comment