Saturday, November 11, 2017

@23:00, 11/11/17

|


1
Food

A Thanksgiving Casserole for Everyone at the Table

Wild rice, white beans, mushrooms and spinach make for an adaptable, festive dish for the holiday and beyond.

Yes.

2
Food

What to Cook This Weekend

Go the extra mile, and make a Filipino embutido, or goulash, or a pissaladière. Or take it easy, and knock out some cumin-roasted salmon.

I have some chop beef and made a loaf of whole wheat bread.
I will cook some quick tomato sauce and pasta.

I should get to the "super" market.

3
Well

Do Pesticides Get Into the Flesh of Fruits and Vegetables?

Some pesticides are actually designed to be absorbed into the tissue of the fruit or vegetable to protect it from pests

Yes.

4
T Magazine

Three Asian-American Chefs Share Recipes for Meaningful Dishes

T asked three chefs to reflect on meals that speak to their experience growing up with two cultures.

Yes. 
Any time I can get the makings.

5
Business Day

Are Honey Nut Cheerios Healthy? We Look Inside the Box

America’s best-selling breakfast cereal has about nine times as much sugar as normal Cheerios. Sugar, brown sugar and honey are among its top six ingredients.

Honey Nut Cheerios are poisonous.

Sugar (fructose) is poisonous and addictive.

6
The Learning Network

How Strong Is Your Sense of Smell?

How does your sense of smell help, or hurt, you?

"Let me count the ways"

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43742/sonnets-from-the-portuguese-43-how-do-i-love-thee-let-me-count-the-ways

Sooner is better.

7
Opinion

God, Jesus and Vietnam

I took my faith to war. I survived. It didn’t.

I was not doing well in school in the fall of 1967.
I would be 1A.
"Nothing so stimulates the mind as the prospect of being hanged in the morning"     Dr. Johnson of the dictionary
I was not a conscientious objector or a father or gay.
I had no intellectual difficulty with killing.
I would not kill on command.

My solution was insanity.  My own.  It was not an effort.

8
Well

The Weekly Health Quiz: Food Additives, Alcohol and Salad Greens

Test your knowledge of this week’s health news.

Score
6 out of 7         I was enthusiastic about heart disease.  50%

9
Well

Spinning With My Mother

Maybe this is my mother’s gift to me: When I’m clipped into that bike and the beat grabs me, everything is so simple.

I still love bicycles.
I am still associated with a bicycle business.
I do not have time or attention to ride.
My niece Emilly has married a Dutch club rider who is also a biochemist in Boston.

10
Science

Debating Whether Reptiles or Amphibians Should Be House Pets

Many experts think these animals shouldn’t be in your home. Turning them into pets raises numerous ecological and ethical questions.

Native species only!

To me the aesthetics are questionable.
There is no affection for humans in them.
I know their fascination and their beauty.

I do not have a death wish.
Death by snake bite does not appeal to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment