Monday, November 6, 2017

@15:30, 10/5/17

|


1
Food

What to Cook This Week

From our favorite lasagna to a Parmesan-crusted rack of lamb, here are a dozen incredible recipes for the next six days.

Attention is lacking.

2
Travel

In Basque Spain, a Pintxos Bar With Touches of Latin America

Topa Sukaldería, in San Sebastián, celebrates the shared connection between the foods of Latin America and Spanish Basque Country.

As convenient.

3
Opinion

Kids, Would You Please Start Fighting?

Creativity doesn’t come from agreement, it comes from good-natured quarreling. It’s time we teach our children that.

Yes.

My father kept being correct.
It is very hard to argue with that.

4
Crosswords & Games

Changing Lanes

Natan Last takes a detour.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44272/the-road-not-taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

"Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,"

http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Italian/Danthome.htm
http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Italian/DantInf1to7.htm#anchor_Toc64090910

"In the middle of the journey of our life, I came to myself, in a dark wood, where the direct way was lost. It is a hard thing to speak of, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood was, so that thinking of it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death: but, in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. I cannot rightly say how I entered it. I was so full of sleep, at that point where I abandoned the true way. But when I reached the foot of a hill, where the valley, that had pierced my heart with fear, came to an end, I looked up and saw its shoulders brightened with the rays of that sun that leads men rightly on every road. Then the fear, that had settled in the lake of my heart, through the night that I had spent so miserably, became a little calmer. And as a man, who, with panting breath, has escaped from the deep sea to the shore, turns back towards the perilous waters and stares, so my mind, still fugitive, turned back to see that pass again, that no living person ever left.
After I had rested my tired body a while, I made my way again over empty ground, always bearing upwards to the right. And, behold, almost at the start of the slope, a light swift leopard with spotted coat. It would not turn from before my face, and so obstructed my path, that I often turned, in order to return.
The time was at the beginning of the morning, and the sun was mounting up with all those stars, that were with him when Divine Love first moved all delightful things, so that the hour of day, and the sweet season, gave me fair hopes of that creature with the bright pelt. But not so fair that I could avoid fear at the sight of a lion, that appeared, and seemed to come at me, with raised head and rabid hunger, so that it seemed the air itself was afraid; and a she-wolf that looked full of craving in its leanness, and, before now, has made many men live in sadness. She brought me such heaviness of fear, from the aspect of her face, that I lost all hope of ascending. And as one who is eager for gain, weeps, and is afflicted in his thoughts, if the moment arrives when he loses, so that creature, without rest, made me like him: and coming at me, little by little, drove me back to where the sun is silent.
While I was returning to the depths, one appeared, in front of my eyes, who seemed hoarse from long silence. When I saw him, in the great emptiness, I cried out to him ‘Have pity on me, whoever you are, whether a man, in truth, or a shadow!’ He answered me: ‘Not a man: but a man I once was, and my parents were Lombards, and both of them, by their native place, Mantuans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy
"Easy and broad is the road to hell"

5
Style

App Time for Nap Time: The Parennials Are Here

The much-examined generation born between 1980 and 2000 are now having children of their own, and parenting very differently from their forebears.

There are few deep pockets.

6
Health

C.D.C. Reports a Record Jump in Drug Overdose Deaths Last Year

The higher mortality rate was further evidence that the opioid crisis has accelerated in recent years.

Everyone likes income.

7
Fashion & Style

Open Thread: This Week in Style News

Paul Manafort’s shopping spree, Christopher Bailey leaves Burberry — and more.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/t-magazine/fashion/sculptural-accessories-jewelry.html

Tell me about your desires.

8
Crosswords & Games

Variety: Puns and Anagrams

Sam Ezersky returns with another Puns and Anagrams puzzle.

I am diverted.

9
Opinion

Let’s Open Up About Addiction and Recovery

There is a lot to be said for speaking out about your recovery from alcohol and drug abuse.

"This openness flies in the face of tradition. Since Alcoholics Anonymous was founded in 1935, anonymity has been the recovery community’s bedrock. In 12-step meetings, people identify themselves by first names only. Outside “the rooms,” they often don’t reveal that they are members of these programs at all."

Do what works.

10
Times Insider

‘Disaffected, Usually Disturbed Loners Have Always Been With Us’

Our top 10 comments of the week: Readers discussed criminal charges for Trump campaign figures, the truck attack in Manhattan and male mammoths.

Treat the crazies as crazy.
Institutional life (half life ) will be punishment enough.


|

No comments:

Post a Comment