Wednesday, November 15, 2017

@20:00, 11/14/17

|


1
Food

Maple Syrup With a Ginger Kick

Think of this maple syrup infused with ginger root as a holiday helper to give baked goods and cocktails more oomph.

50% fructose.
I usually buy fresh ginger root.
I eat my whole wheat crepes with sour creme and a smear of blackberry jam.  I use canola oil in them.

2
Food

A Holiday From Criticism

A.O. Scott is a film reviewer for The Times, so cooking Thanksgiving dinner is a chance to avoid work. And he’s thankful his food pleases the critics.

I am glutin tolerant.
Food I did not cook is delicious by definition.

3
Food

Turkey: The One Essential Guest

Wesley Morris, a Times critic-at-large, tells how his mother loved cooking the bird and why he now feels he must.

I have no audience for turky.
I may roast a leg for myself.

4
Food

Making Up Thanksgiving as She Went Along

While Sarah Lyall was a reporter in The Times’s London bureau, she was free to reinvent every holiday tradition to her liking.

Ultimately it is composed by the cook.

The American Chestnut is nearly extinct.
Flint corn is not to be found
Potatoes arrived from Ireland in the 1830s.
Squash and beans, navy beans and cabage were the vegetables. Turnips and yams?  Probably.  Certainly onions and concord grapes.  Sugar was luxury.  Black strap molasses and corn bread . . .   Boston brown bread.

5
Food

‘I Became a Thanksgiving Orphan’

Just when the food scholar Jessica B. Harris thinks that a beloved family meal can’t be replaced, she learns that maybe it can.

OK

6
Well

The Patients vs. Paperwork Problem for Doctors

Doctors spent nearly twice as much time doing administrative work as actually seeing patients: 49 percent of their time, versus 27 percent.

Automate the damned things.

7
The Learning Network

When and For What Reasons Do You Seek Silence?

How often do you seek breaks from the visual and auditory distractions of everyday life?

Often.  I regularly turn off the noise.

Sound prevents concentration.
Deep thought is not social.
Deep thought is not mindfulness for anyone.

Artificial intelligence is always mindful.
(I am not certain of that yet.)


8
Food

A Thanksgiving Snapshot: Readers Share Their Holiday Stories

So many of us come together to celebrate Thanksgiving, but the holiday means something different to everyone. Here are your stories.

enough.

9
Food

Thanksgiving Wins a Convert

The Times book critic Parul Sehgal has grown into the pleasure of catering to others on the holiday, spurred by marriage and family.

Good idea.

10
Food

My Thanksgiving

Nine accomplished writers share their stories of the holiday.

I have made it work in the past.

I might bake a beer can chicken.

Biscuits would be good.   I should practice.

I have not mastered cornbread.
The Native Americans of the northeast did not bake in ovens or malt grain.

|

No comments:

Post a Comment