Friday, March 27, 2009

Theta Industries

Marla was graduating. I needed a real job and a car. The Volvo had died after being side swiped while parked. I built a wooden rowing boat. I spent weeks searching the classified. I found a job as a bench tech at Theta Industries. It paid seven bucks an hour. When I left that was my rate. Their main business was dilatometers. There had been no change for a decade. I tried to do design. I had some success. Work got a bit better but my rate did not. The Volkswagen Variants' engine mounts rusted away.
Marla told me she would seek other company. I had no car and was depending on trains and buses. I was too haunted and exhausted to object effectively. I was sad but relieved when she asked for her key. There was some cash again. I rediscovered the Adirondacks. I bought an MGB. I went out and visited Tom Wilson at Stony Brook Marine Sciences. We agreed that I could be useful to him in his electronic instruments shop. The owner at Theta decided that I didn't deserve my vacation time. I left. Almost five years passed there.

No comments:

Post a Comment