Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Art school

I went reluctantly. I went with the promise that I could have art and income. No one makes that promise now.
I had been finding my aesthetic "fix" in broadcast radio. This source is played out. My experiments, I now find, replicated "Foundation Year" in the Bauhause curiculum. I did not know. Froebel gets in here in theory and practice. I very much needed to go. I was admitted to Parsons School of Design, The industrial design department. I was immediately lost. Nothing I came with seemed to work. My emotional support resigned. I drowned in work. All according to the schools plan. I learned. Perception: we became photographers. The whole craft. Light, light control, image construction, illusion, composition, content and presentation. The images I shall post here are raw unless otherwise labeled. Mechanical drawing taught space, geometry, process, organization, and the importance of detail. Freehand graphical notation was the central study. There was a continuing rumble of the combinatoric study of Cartesian space. This dominated second year. I spent the first summer learning by doing flat plate geometry in cardboard. Second year also did color and materials. The third year was the business of design. I missed most of third year getting a 1Y draft status.
What I learned was a complete and effective rational design procedure. We had A horrible drop rate. sixty in, twenty out. Suicide was common in the rest of the school. Seven that I knew of. At the end William Katavolos looked at my record and graduated me. He had the power.

No comments:

Post a Comment