Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring 1972

at home I ate and slept for about a month. I remember little until the weather broke and the frost came out of the ground in March. I knew what the recent events were but was not looking at them. I had no interest in doing design, art or photography. Life was on hold. Intellectually I was again the fourteen year old I had been. My father took me out into the back yard and pointed out a locust he thought needed to come down. I took it down, cut it into twelve foot lengths and split it into rails. I cut the top into fire wood and burned the brush. In the process I rebuilt myself physically. I was still rail thin but no longer skeletal. Warm weather surprised me. I sank in salt water. About here my isolation began to grind on me. I had forgotten the lessons learned in intermediate algebra and other mathematics courses. I applied to Stevens Institute. Found William Katavolos on fourteenth street for the required letter of recommendation and was admitted as an M E major class of 1976. I did not want N.Y.U. They had closed their engine school in The Bronx. I liked the Breuer building.

No comments:

Post a Comment