Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Make it march

Marla helped me get the research papers written. I would do the library work, mail her the references and a lead paragraph and an outline of the logic. It worked for academics. Aesthetics and criticism I found I had to write myself.
I wanted access to the tools so I took student employment in the product design shop. My supervisor was a John Sweeney, graduate student in architecture at Pratt. His professor was William Katavolos. I allowed myself to be drawn into their project for a few weeks. First encounter in twenty plus years. I pushed on toward graduation in December 1994.

bed.

I had asked for as much computers as we could squeeze into that semester. There was a course in illustrator and photoshop on Macs. I found that the work was easy. I could read the manual and make sense of it. My Algonkin Park pictures made a splash. First roll of film I had shot since Halifax. Autocad was a dream for this pencil draughtsman. Alias turned out to be of little interest. The required hardware was a fifty thousand dollar Unix Sparc station. I put a teapot I had worked up fifteen years earlier on as project and passed the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment