Sunday, August 22, 2010

Technology Leads More Park Visitors Into Trouble

As more bring digital devices to national parks, rangers are seeing an increase in mishaps involving technology.

I like being alone in the woods. I did some early trips with other people. I found I did not want to be social. Listening and looking at my surroundings was far better than trying to make sense of their concerns. I usually do not get into trouble by my self. There is nothing to challenge me to foolishness.

Boats are another matter. My guide boat is very able and light enough to pick up and carry. I use map and compass and guide books. I have learned that looking at the moving water before attempting it is a very good idea. My adventures with hypothermia have also been very educational. I will not willingly do that again.

The rangers and the rags of bags in the trees have taught bear discipline. I have no animal adventures to tell beyond a few sightings and scat in the trails.

Salt water under sail in a sloop rig calls for more than one sailor. Deserted beaches are that way for a reason but the joy is worth the effort. Use the chart and go ashore in a dingy or a canoe. Open water or a snug harbour are the places to spend the night. The stars off shore are wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment