They Don’t Report. You Don’t Have to Decide.
The metamorphasis of the White House Correspondents Dinner into popular entertainment is of a piece with what has occurred in American politics in general. Substance and policy no longer matter. Truth and accountability are not a part of political reporting. Politicians can say whatever they want, they will never be consistently called to account. Surface is all we are fed by the media. I thought, with Obama, this might change. Sadly, I was wrong. His intellect strikes me now as dangerous. He can intimidatingly talk his way out of anything with extremely seductive, articulate hypocrisy. For example, he bemoans the breakdown of democracy that uninformed, extreme positions on the right and left facilitate. He chastises the media for not being up on the major issues of the day, allowing "powerful interests and their lobbyists" to control the debate and, ultimately, policy. He says these things while his own administration, following backdoor meetings, is doing the bidding of special interests right and left, in so doing, betraying his base and undermining democracy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/opinion/10krugman.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
Sex & Drugs & the Spill
“Obama’s Katrina”: that was the line from some pundits and news sources, as they tried to blame the current administration for the gulf oil spill. It was nonsense, of course. An Associated Press review of the Obama administration’s actions and sta...
Read it please. I have thought and probably will think again that President Obama is a sleaze. What I do think is that he is a professional politician and a good man. Politics is the art of the possible. I am not happy with that.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmond Burke
No comments:
Post a Comment