Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Jewish Question: British Anti-Semitism

Anthony Julius’s fiercely relevant book on British anti-Semitism is particularly strong on Shylock, Fagin and the whole cavalcade of Jew-hatred in English literature.

"I end by wondering at the extraordinary moral strength of Anthony Julius. He concludes by observing: “Anti-Semitism is a sewer.” As he has shown, the genteel and self-righteous “new anti-Semitism” of so many English academic and literary contemporaries emanates from that immemorial stench.

Harold Bloom’s forthcoming books are “The Anatomy of Influence” and “Till I End My Song: A Gathering of Last ­Poems.” He teaches at Yale."

The survival of the ancient into our times is not something I am not prepared to go into at this time. I do find it fascinating and will deal with it if I ever find the leisure.

The current Republican party is enough of a dragon for my slaying.

No comments:

Post a Comment