It’s a Bird, It’s a Plane, It’s Obama!
I strongly reject the notion that race plays a part in my judgment of Obama. I worked for and voted for Obama because he is a reasonable, intelligent man who I (still) think embraces the basic values of liberal democratic governance. Considering that the alternative was McCain/Palin, there was no way I was going to sit back and let the election just happen. But I am mystified (and angry) by how what I thought were immutable and urgent dictates of our democratic system, the primacy of the rule of law, the foundational principle of fairness in habeas corpus, and the constitutional prohibition against unreasonable search and seizure, have been left twisting in the breeze by Obama after they were so severly abused by Bush et al. Everything that is great about my country is in jeopardy, in fact being activiely degraded (which was what made the Bush era so intolerable), as long as these central democratic values remain undefended. My disappointment grows as I wait for my reasonable and intelligent president to take care of what is really important.
Amen. So mote it be.
No comments:
Post a Comment